Monday, May 21, 2012

My Watch, the Idol

I lost my watch last Wednesday. It was on when I went to bed, and gone when I woke up.

I wasn't panicking too much, but I was worried that I would start being late for everything. And we had a field trip to go to on Friday-- how will I manage to walk around without a watch?! How will I know when to eat lunch and leave for naps and all that?!

Well, I haven't been late (not any later than I usually am). And we did okay on the field trip. I trusted my internal clock and read cues from the children. We ate when we needed to, and left when we needed to. Maybe there's something to this...

I felt freer without a watch. I found myself enjoying my time more. Instead of constantly checking my watch, I was looking at my surroundings and listening to my children. Yes-- I was listening to my children! Not with a 'uh-huh', but really listening, and noticing, and interacting.

Maybe I've been relying too much on my watch. Maybe I've made an idol of my schedule, allowing it to take priority over people. Maybe getting short-tempered because we weren't going fast enough, or frustrated when my plans went awry, were signs that I had forgotten that love is patient, love is kind. Love, which is not scheduled or bound by time, should be my time-keeper.

I still haven't found my watch. I'll probably need to buy a new one. But for now, I'm going to go as long as I can without one.

No comments:

Post a Comment