Sunday, October 15, 2017

Introducing… Kim!

I know this isn't a cooking blog, but those of you who know me know that I enjoy being in the kitchen and I especially love making food for other people.

So when my friend Kim Chew started a new recipe blog, I knew I had to feature her! Just reading her recipes and seeing her photos make my stomach growl! And what I love the most about Kim and her blog is that it is not just about cooking delicious, healthy, home-cooked meal; it is also about sharing your heart and Jesus's love with people.

But first, a little history: I met Kim several years ago through our church. I knew that her husband was a dentist, that her kids were really involved in missions and serving, and that she had a heart for mentoring young moms.

But what I didn't know was Kim's amazing behind-the-scenes skills, namely in the kitchen. She is constantly hosting youth groups and fundraisers in her home (last night she put on a missions trip fundraiser and served 60 people!) She teaches cooking classes in her kitchen. She has moms over for dinner and teaching. I experienced her amazing hospitality first-hand when she hosted our band for a houseshow in her backyard a few summers ago. Everything was so beautifully organized and everyone felt at home right away!

Despite her busy schedule, Kim was able to find time to answer a few questions for me. Read on to learn more about Kim and her experience with cooking and hosting!


1) How and when did you develop your love of cooking?
My mom always cooked dinner and taught me some basic dishes–fried rice, spaghetti sauce, and stir-fry dishes. When I graduated from University of Texas, I moved to Los Angeles and roomed with my cousin Denise. She taught me how to make a pie crust from scratch and that was when I realized "home made" is so much better than store bought. When I married Steve, we traveled and I developed an international palate. Now, whenever I eat something I like, I try to make it at home.

2) What is your favorite dish to eat? To make?  
I have 4 favorites: Beef Wellington, paella, Moroccan beef stew and Chinese shrimp with lobster sauce AND I can make all 4. I like to make paella and gumbo. I love dishes where each bite is a little different and I like to cook dishes that have my meat and veggies together–just simplifies things.

3)  What is your philosophy on hospitality?  
My home is God's home. We need to care for it and use it for His glory. One of my love languages is "gifts", so when I cook, I get to give. We have always used dinner at our house as a way to get to know people. We'd have missionaries over, to bring the world to the kids. We'd prep the kids with a little history of the missionaries and their country, and give them some questions they could ask. It's helped my extroverts and introverts learn how to start and carry a conversation with strangers. We have been blessed with so much, I am happy to share it.

4) How do food and hospitality go hand in hand?
In a Chinese home, when someone comes in, the first thing you offer them is something to drink. Then you ask it they are hungry, and no matter what they say, you break out something to eat. When people eat together, we share stories and talk about life. There is something about having a table in front of you, that makes people feel safe, it's kind of like a safety barrier. People open up and talk more when you are enjoying an experience together.

5) What have you witnessed in your cooking-and-eating sessions? (and what do you call these sessions?)
I don't have a name for my cooking/eating sessions yet, but if I had to choose, I'd call it Dinner Together. All the people I cook with, want to learn. The first thing I've noticed is that knife skills are an important skill in cooking. A sharp knife, and the right knife can make a job easier. The second thing I've noticed is that people are surprised how easy things are to make. People talk and get to know each other when they work alongside each other. People enjoy making things, because it gives them a sense of accomplishment.

6) What are some tips you can share for people who would like to practice more hospitality in their homes?
1. Don't worry about the food. Most people come to your house for the company, not the food. You can order pizzas, toss a bagged salads, and serve ice cream for dessert.
2. It's not about how clean or tidy or beautiful your home is either. Let your kids set and decorate the table, make place cards, gather leaves or flowers and set the table.  
3. Spontaneous meals are really fun, call a friend and ask them to bring their leftovers over and share your leftovers or do potlucks.  
4. Entertaining doesn't have to be a meal - we've had great times sharing dessert and games or eating popcorn and watching a movie.  
5. You don't even have to entertain in your home! You can invite people to a park or a pool or a favorite restaurant.   
6. My sister-in-law gave me a great idea. She has 2 menus that she serves to guests.  One is Mexican food and one is Chinese food.  This way, she already knows the grocery list, the quantity and how to cook the food.  
7. Allow guests to bring something: drinks, dessert, an appetizer or a salad.
8. Have fun. If cooking isn't your think, don't cook. If decorating the table is your thing, do that. If you are worried about what to talk about, get a list of ice breaker/getting to know you questions off the internet, print them on cards and put them on people's plates before they come.  
9.  Keep kids at the same table as adults and make it fun for them. Wikisticks, lacing cards, small puzzles, coloring books, paint with water books can be played with after the meal is over. Think how fun it would be for a kid to find a toy at their place setting!


Thank you, Kim, for sharing your wisdom! There is so much I can learn from you! Check out her blog, Kim Chew Cooks, for some delicious recipes to try (and a beautiful fall craft to make!)

No comments:

Post a Comment