Saturday, September 30, 2017

More on Gushing

I was scanning Facebook one day and saw my friend's post, which read something like, "I turn on my husband's car and discover that he loves to drive with NPR blasting on the radio!"

Having had that happen to me on occasion, I commented,  "My husband does too!"

Hours later, I discover that other wives had added their comments, many with something more like "I hate it when my husband does that." Where I had been amused by the coincidence, others felt that they needed to vent about their husbands' annoying habit. I quickly deleted my comment from the Facebook post because my four innocent words had become a part of a conversation that had turned sour and bitter.

Later, I confessed to my husband the part I had played in this exchange. Even though I had not meant to demean my husband, I apologized to him for giving other people (especially people who don't know me) the impression that I had. I don't comment much on Facebook anymore, except to say encouraging things on occasion. I've learned my lesson.

It's so easy to get sucked into conversations like this. Facebook, texts, chatting over a cup of coffee… what starts as a simple comment or joke can quickly become griping and complaining. Before you know it, you're gushing about your spouse, but not in a good way! Husbands and wives, be on guard at all times. Always practice speaking in love and honoring your spouse with the words that come out of your mouth (or fingertips)!

No comments:

Post a Comment