Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Home-made Graham Crackers

I had a friend ask me the other day, "Could I have your graham cracker recipe? I was feeding my one-year-old store-bought graham crackers when I realized that I should make my own!"

Like many foods nowadays, we are used to buying graham crackers from the store, seeing them come in a box, and tasting a certain way. We just assume that we can't make them ourselves, like a child might assume that orange juice is "grown" in a carton at the store.

Then I discovered this recipe in a magazine (so I take no credit for it.) Some recipes call for graham flour, but this one uses a mixture of wheat and regular all-purpose flour. It's easy, but it does need to be refrigerated, so keep that in mind (although, sometimes that's a plus because you can make the dough the night before and it takes only minutes the next day to have fresh cookies.)

Summer is almost here! Combine this recipe with the recipe for home-made marshmallows (I use this one: Home-made Marshmallows), and your s'mores will be a big hit this year!


HOME-MADE GRAHAM CRACKERS

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Beat in honey, milk and vanilla extract until smooth.

Stir together dry ingredients and stir into batter.

Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough 1/8-inch thick (or thicker if you like softer, more cookie-like crackers). Cut with cookie cutters or into squares. Sprinkle with sugar or cinnamon-sugar, if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment