Sunday, September 29, 2013

I Have a Dream (Revisited)

My husband is on a backpacking bachelor party in the mountains, braving near freezing temperatures to bond with 'the guys'. For him to leave the kids and me and do something like that means he must really love his friend. But when my husband is gone anywhere overnight, I suddenly feel like part of me is missing. My well-intentioned inlaws even offered to take some of the kids for a sleepover, to lighten my load, but I wanted them with me. I need more people in the house.

And I wonder, what will I be like when I'm older, an empty-nester, maybe a widow? I wouldn't want to be alone, but I can't imagine myself living in one of those retirement complexes. Maybe I'll rent out my rooms to college students, or a young family. Whatever I end up doing, I can't see myself living apart from people of all ages.

With current trends, this picture of my elderly self is unfamiliar and strange. Gone are the days of young people mowing lawns for their older neighbors. Gone are the neighborhood 'grandmas' with their plates of cookies, inviting children to sit and chat on the front porch. We have more and more retirement homes popping up in our valley, more and more lawn mowing service trucks driving down our street, and more and more children staring down at their fancy phones and gadgets.

Nevertheless, I still have a dream.

This excerpt is from a post dated February 14, 2011. I read it again today, and my dream remains the same.




I have a dream.

I have a dream that one day we will build playgrounds next to senior centers, and that we will see seniors reading animatedly to children during story hour at the library.

I have a dream that young people will mow lawns for the elderly and carry their groceries, even when they are not financially compensated for their action, that 'retirement' means volunteering at the local youth center, and 'hanging out at the mall' means taking an elderly neighbor shopping.

I have a dream that teenagers will no longer feel awkward around adults, and that single people will not feel a world apart from married folks with children.

I have a dream that every baby will be held, hugged, kissed, and cherished by someone who sees the value of a child.

I have a dream.

I have a dream that when one enters a church, one will never feel the invisible walls of age differences, unknown standards, or established social networks.

I have a dream that every child will grow up with the wisdom of a grandparent to guide him, even if the grandparent is not his own, that every adult will have someone following in his footsteps, even if the someone is not his kin, that nobody, child or adult, will ever feel worthless and unloved.

I have a dream that all generations will sit around a dinner table and feast together, not only at Christmas or Easter, but everyday, and not only with blood relatives, but with everyone.

I have a dream that life on earth will look more like life on heaven.

I have a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment