Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Who, Not What

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

It's so classic… I hear people ask my children this question all the time. The answers my children give range from "Lego Designer" to "doctor/mom/writer/teacher." My younger son once said, "I want to be an owl when I grow up," and now he's moved on to race car driver. Yikes! I think. What's next?! I actually prefer owl to race car driver!

I'm like every other parent. I have my interests-- mainly music and the arts-- and what I would consider ideal career choices-- teacher and doctor are two that come to mind-- and as much as I would like my children to pursue what I want them to pursue, all I really want for my children is happiness, safety, and security.

But what if my child chooses an unconventional career? One that is unpredictable? Even dangerous? What will I do then? Will I still be proud? Supportive?

When my husband and I find ourselves drowning in questions like these, he wisely reminds me (and himself) that we are asking the wrong questions. Instead of "What do you want to be when you grow up?", we should focus on "Who do you want to be when you grow up?" More than anything, we want our children to know God's grace and love as Jesus loved. Integrity, mercy and kindness, servant-leadership (is that a word?) are more important than a large salary or prestigious title; however our child will support him/herself career-wise, what we really want is for him/her to live as a Godly man or woman and shine a light in this dark world. That may mean God leads our child to another continent, or another country, or another state, but we have to trust that God is directing our child on his/her path, whether it is the path of a doctor, waiter, or missionary.

Fortunately, I have ten more years before my oldest is plunged into the working world. In the meantime, my eyes are turned to God for guidance in how to teach my children to hear His voice. My husband and I are careful observers to the skills and strengths God gave to each of our unique children. In our homeschooling, I teach scholastic skills, keeping in mind that they are secondary to character building. And lastly, I am exercising my own faith in the Author of our stories. When the time comes for my children to 'leave the nest', I know that they'll be in good hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment