Friday, October 24, 2014

Seize the Day?!?!

Carpe diem!

Those could have been my words once upon a time, back when I was younger, freer, and– haha– more energetic.

And now, are you kidding me?! I can hardly force myself out of bed in the morning, and you want me to lasso the day, rein it in, and wrestle it to the ground?! Even as I type the title for this entry, the words taunt me. The only thing I seize regularly is the hand of my toddler as we cross a busy parking lot. And the only thing I wish I could seize is five minutes to myself so I could use the bathroom in peace.

But if today was really, truly, my last day on earth, would I regret spending it at home with my children?

The answer to that question, I realize, is a very certain 'No'.

All too often, I compare my life with others. I envy those who have the opportunity to travel or who have published works. I feel that my life is boring and unexciting, and that others see me as one who chose to trade in a life of passion for one of fear, complacency, and routine. 

But there is no comparison. Though my life is no Hollywood movie, there is no lack of passion in what I do. I am not 'seizing the day' by going on grand adventures, but I am choosing this: 

to boldly live a quiet life. 

While I may never publish my book, I may never visit Australia and pet a live koala, and I may not have anything interesting, witty, or funny to say at the end of the day, I AM seizing the moments that God is giving me: lovingly changing a diaper, meditating on a Bible verse, encouraging a stranger, choosing NOT to yell at my children, doing something for my spouse that requires sacrifice on my part.

And if I die tomorrow, may those who know me best say this, that Rita took advantage of every moment, that she loved her Lord with all her heart, her mind, her soul, and her strength, and that she served her family and friends with passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment