Sunday, March 1, 2015

More on Learning, Life, and Intentionality

I was lying on my bed next to my five-month-old while chatting with my husband about a conversation he had had with the older children. The conversation had been on cell-phone usage, and I immediately recalled my list from twelve days ago. I had thought at the time that the list was thorough, but I had forgotten one thing. What else does a child learn while waiting for dinner at a restaurant? Contentment.

Contentment is listening to my husband's voice without being interrupted by a text message alert. It is watching my son's expressive face and hands without wondering, "Who's Twittering now?" But contentment is a stranger to the child with an endless source of entertainment at his/her fingertips. It is a foreign concept to the teenager who can surf the Internet and text with friends in the midst of a class, a car ride, or 'family time'. There is more, always MORE, on those little gadgets to seduce a person away from what is happening in his/her immediate surroundings. 

It's sad that people don't realize that what they are looking for on their smart phones is contentment. And of course, they will never find it there.

No comments:

Post a Comment