Thursday, March 17, 2016

Come and Feast!

My absolute favorite type of meal is a potluck. Some people scoff at this because potlucks remind them of Sunday lunches in their church's 'fellowship' hall. I've even heard that some churches do not like to use the term 'potluck' because luck is not a Biblical idea. So, call it whatever you want. I just really enjoy a meal where everyone comes together and brings a dish. And I'm not just saying that because it means there is less cooking for me. I enjoy potlucks because I like to try other people's cooking!

Take my husband's 40th birthday party/potluck. We started with a few plates of appetizers, made by me. As friends and family arrived, the plates multiplied. Soon, there were bowls of colorful fruit and salads, delicious carne asada, scrumptious roasted asparagus, garlicky potatoes, teriyaki salmon, chicken, pasta, pizza, spinach dip… is your mouth watering like mine is right now? There was so much food, I couldn't find room for it all! Needless to say, it was a great party, and we all left with full and happy stomachs.

I'm learning right now that sitting with God is like this potluck, only that He is the one bringing all the food, and the food is more amazing than anything I can even imagine! What a contrast to a few months ago, when I saw my time in the Word as a dry exercise in Christian discipline. Open the book, read, ponder, close the book, done. 

But that is so far from the truth! When we sit in God's presence, our souls feast on His love, peace, joy, and wisdom. As I strive to begin every day with a few minutes in the Bible, I am starting to enjoy more and more of this feast: first a few nibbles... then a few bites… 

Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him! ~Psalm 34:8

Easter will be upon us soon. Take the time this year to discover all that God wants to give you. Don't just spend the day filling your stomachs; fill your souls too!

He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love. ~Song of Solomon 2:4

No comments:

Post a Comment