Thursday, May 5, 2016

If I Wrote a Mother's Day Card

I may be a writer, but you wouldn't want me working for Hallmark. Let's just say that, sometimes, I'm TOO sincere.

Which also means I have a hard time buying cards at the store. I look through card after card, searching for the perfect message for the occasion, and usually I can't find one! Even if there is a tiny part of the message that doesn't TRULY reflect my sentiments, I can't give that card.

This can make it especially difficult at this time of year. The greeting card shelves are lined with cards that say "To the BEST mom!" But when I read those words, my mind jumps to memories of me with my mom: the fights, the tears, the times when I felt abandoned. There are still moments from my childhood that are too painful to talk about. Could I call my mom the best mom ever? I've come a long way, but I still don't think I can say that.

But my mom was the best mom she could be. I can say from my own experience that mothering is much harder than it looks; I too have made my share of mistakes (oh, too many to count!) and I have my own deficiencies that, I'm sure, drive my children crazy! I know that I am NOT the world's best mom. So if I could get any card from my children this Sunday, I wouldn't want one that gives me that title. I would rather receive a card that reads:


Mom, there have been times when I've felt hurt, 
ignored, or misunderstood by you. 
There are times when I've seen you act in ways 
that are impatient, angry, immature, and self-centered.

But I've also seen you grow.
I've seen you seeking wisdom from God's word.
I've seen you on your heart's knees, praying for those you love.
I've seen you try your hardest, until even your hardest was not enough.
I've seen you admit wrong and change to be a better mom.
And I'm sure there was much that I did not see.

You've loved me and cared for me day after day, 
sometimes at a sacrifice to yourself.
And because of that, I honor and respect you.
God gave me to you, and you to me.
Thank you for doing your best to fulfill the role God has given you.


(Do you see what I mean about my working for Hallmark?)

But in writing this imaginary Mother's Day card to myself, I realize that these are some of the same words I would say to my own mom. When I was younger, I didn't see the whole picture. It took time for me to mature, to grow in Christ, to learn to forgive and to see my mom as a person, to be at a place where I can say, truly, "I honor and respect you, Mom."

My mom is now diligently serving my dad as he fights cancer and goes through chemotherapy. She is on the job around-the-clock, and through it all, she is holding steadfastly to her faith in her Savior. My mother may have tripped and fallen often in the 37 years I have known her, but today she is a wonderful example of a faithful and godly wife. She still makes mistakes, but then again, so do I.

I know there are many people who also have had difficult relationships with their mothers, to varying degrees. Forgiveness and respect do not come easily, but it can come, with God's help. This Mother's Day, don't just send your mom a Hallmark card chosen haphazardly off the shelf. Give her a real gift: grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment