Monday, March 13, 2017

I See the King!

"Mom! There is a giant bird in the tree! Mom! It looks like a penguin!!"

Penguin?! I thought. My children's imaginations must be working overtime. 

But my children know about birds, so they could not have been exaggerating that much. I made my way to the window to check out this penguin.

There, in our neighbor's tree, was not one, but TWO, gray oblong shapes that did look a lot like penguins!

"Mom, are they hawks?"

"No… not any hawk I've ever seen!"

We eventually figured out that our penguins were two huddled blue herons trying to keep warm in the windy weather. We watched the pair throughout the day, taking great delight whenever one moved, worrying when we couldn't see two, and wondering if they would choose to be our permanent neighbors.

That evening at dinner, my husband read another chapter from Tales of the Kingdom (one of our favorites, written by David and Karen Mains). This chapter, titled 'Sighting Day' was about a game called seek-the-King.

"The children try to find the King all over Great Park on Sighting Day," Mercie explained further. "It is a huge game of seek-the-King. He appears in disguises…"

But the game is not as easy as it sounds, because before a person can see the King, he/she has to believe in the King. I won't give away too much, but by the end of the chapter, our protagonist Hero was able to say, "I see the King!"

Suddenly it all came together. Hero understood. This was the King. This beggar. This peasant. This athletic young man.

For me, the connection could not have been clearer. I'm not an avid bird watcher, but I do take great delight in identifying birds and watching their habits. Whenever I'm walking or driving, I spot birds and point them out to my children. Now the children have caught on to my little hobby. When I hear one of them shout out, "There's our phoebe!" or "I saw a red-winged blackbird" I am filled with joy.

Similarly, I can be the one who teaches my children to see Jesus everywhere. When I give thanks despite a difficult situation, I am showing my children that Jesus is in control. When I give praise to the Creator for His beautiful world, I am pointing out God's handiwork. And when I treat strangers, neighbors, and even enemies with love, I am demonstrating Jesus's love for those who were made in His image. Yes, the King is everywhere, if we only open our eyes to see Him.

The herons did not choose to stay for more than a day, but as we drove to church last Sunday, we spotted a heron at the nearby creek.

"Look! A heron! Maybe that's our heron!"

I smiled. Hearing those words brought to my mind an image of my children playing a game of seek-the-King, maybe at church, maybe at the park, maybe at the store. How wonderful it would be to hear them shout one day,

"I see the King!"

No comments:

Post a Comment