Friday, August 18, 2017

Introducing… Susan!

I fortunately have several friends who are writers/bloggers, and oftentimes, when I read what they share, I find myself so encouraged! I love that though we don't live in the same neighborhoods or have the same backgrounds, we still have much in common. They are moms, wives, and daughters of God, seeking to live as shining examples of God's love to their families and their neighbors.

And so, I decided to share my mom-blogger-friends with you through a series of short interviews! At the end of each interview, there will be a link to their blog. I know that if you are like me, you don't have tons of time to sit and read through tons of blog posts or emails, but maybe today you too will find yourself reading just the very words you need to hear and be encouraged by my friends' words.

To start us off, let me introduce Susan Narjala, whom I met 8 years ago when she came from Oregon to visit her sister, one of my closest friends. We were both pregnant that summer and so commiserated through the California heat together. Shortly after the birth of her daughter, Susan and her husband decided to move their family back to India– a big and bold move for their family of four. They were able to come back to the U.S. to visit this past summer, and it was wonderful to see her baby all grown up and to catch up on life. I especially love asking her about daily life in India; someday I hope to visit her there! 

Besides regularly posting on her blog, Susan has had articles published by Relevant magazine, the MOPs blog, Parents.co, Indiaanya.com, and Huffington Post India. Her Indian and American background gives her a wonderful, unique perspective on faith and culture, and her sense of humor shines through all her writing. I can always see Susan's smile and hear her laugh when I read her articles!


1) Please tell us a bit about yourself.
I'm a mom of two precious kidlings who are growing up way faster than I'd like. Been married for 12 years to one strong, dependable man who puts his family before himself. If there's something different about me, it's that I've got one foot in America and one in India. I was born and raised in India, but ever since I can remember, I wanted to live in America. I first came to America as a nervous 20-year-old grad school student to Syracuse University in upstate New York. I later got married and moved to Portland, Oregon, where I had my babies and did the whole stay-at-home-mom thing. Twelve years and 856 loads of laundry later, we decided to move back to India and give up our American Dream. I've now lived in India two years and I love it but I still long for the green parks, the clean roads and Target.

2) What passions drive you in your writing?
WIth my writing, it's like my thoughts have to get on paper or on a screen. I think I started journaling when I was eight and don't think I've ever stopped. I love putting into words what God is teaching me through His Word or through daily, mundane, yet sometimes full of surprises, events.

3) What is the greatest lesson you've learned as a wife?
It's a lesson I continue to learn: don't expect my husband to be my God. When I put larger-than-life expectations on my husband, he feels the pressure and I become a pro at nagging. But when I allow God to be my number one priority and get immersed in His love, then my role as a wife and as a partner becomes clearer and more do-able.

4) What is the greatest lesson you've learned as a mom?
What shocked me most about mommyhood was just how impatient I could be! I used to think I was pretty zen and that I'd be a fun mom. Then I had babies. And, oh boy! Did they know how to push my buttons, or what? I think the greatest learning curve for me has been in the patience department. I'm learning that when I strive for perfectionism in my parenting, it's a sure fire recipe for falling flat on my face! 

5) What is the greatest lesson you've learned as a daughter of the King?
That no matter what happens in life, I always circle back to Him. And I can. Because He's always there. My greatest lesson is realizing my absolute neediness before God– and knowing that He is willing and able to untiringly fill me up. His grace doesn't dry up. Ever.

Susan, thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to answer my questions! There is SO much more to say, that I wish I had time for a much longer interview! Maybe someday she'll put it all into a book. (I'm hoping she will!) To read more from Susan, visit her blog Alliteration Alley!

No comments:

Post a Comment