Tuesday, November 14, 2017

A Thankful Heart

Sometimes, I feel that there is much to complain about.

My kitchen cabinets are literally falling apart. I lose things because the back of my drawers have fallen off.

There is some kind of pipe issue going on that causes small floods in the garage.

My children still haven't figured out how to get themselves moving in the morning. And they still complain about school every other day (at least).

My backyard is a mess...

My husband is busy...

My schedule is demanding...

I don't have time to sleep, shower, or sit for even 10 minutes of quiet…

You see how easy it is to get on the mental train of 'woe is me'?

Whenever I get on this train, I find that the words of Colossians 3:15-20 (one of my favorite passages) helps me jump onto a different train…

And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and humans and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Then I know that there is much to be thankful for.

We live in a wonderful, comfortable house in a safe  neighborhood. This house has become our home over the past eight years. Two of my children have been born in my bedroom!

My children are with me almost all day, and they are with their siblings almost all day. The ratio of time spent fighting and complaining and time spent playing, helping, learning, and laughing is actually quite low. They are healthy, happy, and growing up faster than I would like!

My husband has a 15-20 minute commute. He doesn't go away on business trips. He is almost always home for dinner, and often home for breakfast too. He loves supporting his family, and is busy serving our church body and the community to the best of his ability. Sometimes this means taking an evening Bible class. Sometimes it means meeting with a young man or a dad for coffee at 7am. He loves people. But he doesn't forget to make time for me. Yesterday, he asked me, out of the blue, "Rita, how can I love you better?" I really don't deserve him.

As for me, I have the privilege to do exactly what I've always wanted to do: being a mom, homeschooling, taking care of the home, mentoring women. I have opportunities to use my gifts. I am not hindered by health issues. My life may not be perfect, but even if it was, I could still find something to complain about, if I tried hard enough. Ungratefulness often comes from pride, vanity, selfishness, and a sense of entitlement. Contentment, on the other hand, is rooted in a humble and thankful heart. So even if you are having a difficult time giving thanks right now, remember that one's level of gratefulness is not based on one's circumstances.

Let's make a practice of giving thanks to the One who gave us all things and living in such a way that all can see our thankful hearts. As our day of Thanksgiving approaches, read and meditate upon these verses. May the "word of Christ dwell in you richly!"

This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. ~Psalm 118:24

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever. ~Psalm 136:1

Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge this name. ~Hebrews 13:15

I will give to the Lord the thanks due to his righteousness, and I will praise to the name of the Lord, the Most High. ~Psalm 7:17

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. ~I Thessalonians 5:16-18

Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples! ~I Chronicles 16:8

No comments:

Post a Comment