Thursday, August 16, 2018

Humble Like a Child




I am fascinated by babies.

I love seeing their personalities unfold, starting from Day 1.

I am awed by the way their brains learn and grow, and amused when their bodies can't keep up.

And every time I observe a baby in her helplessness–needing me to feed, clean, soothe, and love her–I clearly see a reflection of my own relationship with my Heavenly Father.

Take today, for example.


My youngest eagerly wants to grow up and copy her siblings in everything. She loves sitting at the table with us and eating her baby cereal; sometimes she is so impatient, she'll cry in between bites. This morning, as I held the food up to her open mouth, she grabbed the spoon and tried to feed herself. She did okay (though she ended up with cereal all over her face, hands, and feet even!) and happily chewed on the spoon and whatever cereal was left on it. I then tried to take the spoon from her, but her grip on it clearly told me, "No! You can't take it from me, Mama!" She didn't understand that I wanted to take the spoon only to give her more cereal! She was happy with an empty spoon, and cried when I took away what she thought was the best! 


As this was happening, I was chuckling to myself, but also thinking of how often I have fought to keep something that I thought was good, when God wanted only to give me something better. Time and time again I think I know best, or I try to be self-reliant, when I am really more like a baby than I want to admit. I need to learn that I am not, and cannot be, fully independent. I am created to need God. I am created to delight in Him as my baby delights in me. I am created to be fully at peace only when I am resting in my Father's arms. 

Jesus says, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:3-4).

And that is easier said than done, especially for me.

I did figure out a solution to the spoon problem. I use two spoons, so the baby can contentedly chew on one while I feed her with the other.

Maybe that's what God does with me too sometimes. He lets me hold on to my little treasures, while He continues to give me what I truly need. Which shows you just how much my gracious Heavenly Father loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment