Wednesday, December 12, 2018

The True Meaning of Christmas

You will feel strange reading this when all around you are glittering lights and jolly elves, but bear with me. It will all make sense in the end…


Imagine yourself a slave...
A chain is shackled to each of your ankles, limiting your movements.
You work day and night, trying to complete your tasks to the satisfaction of your master.
Yet you don't do it to please him, but out of fear of the punishment you may receive if you don't.
Even in those moments when you do something that makes you smile, you are afraid, afraid that your master will find out.
You live your life in fear of punishment. There is no peace, not even in your sleep.


I used to live like this. When I first became a Christian, I thought it was about following a set of rules and doing certain things, like a slave. I wasn't aware of my slave state, but deep down in my heart and way in the back of my mind was always a lurking fear of punishment. I was afraid that I failed as a Christian. I felt guilty for every wrong thing I did. I spend my days striving to follow every command in the Bible and everything that I was taught to do. There was no real joy in me, even when I was doing something I enjoyed, something that wasn't wrong.

Then, I realized something. God isn't my task master; He came to rescue me from a life of slavery. He bought me from my master and took off my shackles. He adopted me into His family. I am no longer a slave, but a daughter. Now, I am living in freedom, and it is an amazing feeling! No more checking things off my religious checklist. No more worries about what happened if I don't fulfill my religious duties. No more guilt about failing as a Christian. I feel so much joy and peace, all because I live in the light of knowing that God loves me. 

What I am describing here is not a religion. It is a relationship with a living being, a relationship based on trust and love. I have a friendship with my God, and this is possible only because He came to earth, lived as a man, died for my sins and came back to life. And that is what peace on earth and good will towards men means. That is why Christmas is so earth-shaking and beautiful and amazing, and that is what I am celebrating this holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment