Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Rainy Days

Ugh, the winter doldrums.

The months after Christmas always feel the longest. We've had so many cold, rainy days lately that we can't play outside much. The dreary clouds start getting to everyone after a while too. I'm just plain tired. School feels tedious and my teenagers are discontent. The baby has been teething for weeks and still wakes two to three times a night. And while I feel like crawling into my bed and hibernating, my younger children have too much energy. I even suggested to my husband that we should petition to move Christmas to February or March, just so we have something joyful to look forward to during these dark months.

But the cold and the rain has also brought with them a new beauty. When I drive through our valley, I see snow sitting on the hills. Usually, if we get snow at all, the snow melts by the time the noonday sun shines on it. This year, we've had white on the hilltops for weeks. And every time I see those hills, I'm awed by the sight, and I remember these words:

I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth.
~Psalm 121:1-2 (ESV)

The God who makes the snow fall, the daffodils bloom, and the rainbows glow is helping me with the day-to-day. Because of that, I have joy and hope even when the winter feels long.

No comments:

Post a Comment