Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Growing Weary

The weather is warming and the sun is shining. I should be happy as I'm hanging laundry on the line but the only words I hear in my head is "Vanity of vanities! All is vanity." (Ecclesiastes 1:3)

Because the world is full of pain. Two of my friends are dying from cancer. Other friends are dealing with the loss of a baby or other loved ones. Children are in need of food and homes and safety. And here I am hanging laundry!

Sometimes I want to ditch the mundane things and focus all my energy on helping the world. Having a clean house is small beans compared to the amount of filth in the world that needs cleaning up. But I know that taking care of my family is no light matter and if I just keep plugging away at what I do everyday, I can make a small difference.

Lately, though, I've been feeling more like giving up. The pain is too much. I am an ant trying to move a mountain. I know that it is not my task to save the world, but I can't help but feel the burden of grief.

"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." These words from Galatians 6:9 are what is bolstering me right now. It may be hard to see the difference today, but in the end, the little I do does matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment