Monday, December 7, 2020

The Aches of Pains of Growing Old (and the Hope of Christmas)

 As I grow older, I experience more aches and pains. 

Sometimes it's the physical ache–the tendonitis that just won't go away, or the lower back pain that keeps me from running like I used to.

But more and more now, it's the heart ache. The older I get, the more sadness I experience. I've seen friends suffer through cancer, young people die, families say goodbye to a spouse, a parent, or a grandparent. There are many people who will be going through this Christmas with a hole in their heart. And this gave me a new perspective on Christmas.

The tree is lovely, gift-giving is lovely, the lights are lovely, but the focus of Christmas should be on the very fact that there was pain involved. Mary faced rejection when her neighbors and friends found out that she was pregnant out of wedlock. Joseph had to look people in the eye even if they talked about him behind his back. Jesus was born naturally, with no heavenly epidural to ease his mother's contractions.

And this baby grew and experienced the death of his father. He experienced prejudice, being a Galilean. I'm sure he experienced bruises, cuts, and illnesses too. And ultimately, he experienced torture and death.

This sounds like a big downer at a time like Christmas, but THIS is what gives us hope! Christmas is the celebration of our Rescuer coming to be "God with Us." He isn't a metal robot who is immune to feeling nicks and scratches. He isn't a God who is out of reach and out of touch. He KNOWS what we're going through, and He's right there with us as we're going through it. And... get this... this is not the end of the story. This is not the end of YOUR story. There is more to come... more hope, more joy, more peace, more love.

If you are experiencing loss right now, hold on to the Hope of Christmas.  That's what I'm clinging to with all my might as my heart prepares to say good-bye to a friend soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment