Sunday, March 28, 2021

What I've Learned during Covid

Recently, I learned something about myself.

I walked into the kitchen and saw a mountain of pots and pans in the sink, leftover from breakfast and lunchtime. 

Ugh, I said to myself. I knew I had to tackle them before dinner prep started. 

I took a step toward the sink, my eyes locked on the dishes, daring them to look away...  and I lost the staring contest.  I turned and decided I'd rather bake something instead (even if that meant more dishes.) 

Then, while the pumpkin pasties were in the oven, awaiting my consumption, I started washing and cleaning up. Funny, how at that point, I didn't mind doing the dishes.

What did I learn?

That it's not the kitchen that I like, but the food. I'm not really in the kitchen unless there is en enticing, tasty reason to be.

Here is something else I've learned from these recent months: what is essential, and what is merely an inconvenience.

Wearing a mask is an inconvenience, when people are losing their jobs and losing their loved ones.

Writing a card and putting it in the mail, or baking banana bread and dropping it off at someone's house, is an inconvenience, when there are people who are lonely and missing friends and family.

Packing up enough fold-up chairs for a family of 10, along with toys, crayons, and lunches for the little ones as we attend the 11:00 outdoor service is an inconvenience, when it means that we can gather with our church family for worship.

Do you see what I mean?

Even today, when the sun was shining too brightly and the black top started warming up to uncomfortable temperatures, I thought to myself, "This is merely an inconvenience! What is better than being with my church family on Palm Sunday?!"

And I pray that you learn this lesson too. There are so many non-essential details in life that we can complain about, but if we really focus on what is important, we will find that those details don't really matter anymore.

What have you learned during this Covid time?


No comments:

Post a Comment