Saturday, December 3, 2022

A Musical is Born! -Part 6- The Reading

Auditions were two weeks ago. Because of Thanksgiving, we couldn't start rehearsals right away. But that's okay, because the extra time gave me space to finish preparing for our first rehearsal (and switch modes from writer to vocal director.)

On the night of the auditions, after the last actor had sung for us, the artistic team stayed for another hour and a half to discuss what we still needed to hear at callbacks to help us make our decisions. Then the next morning, bright and early, we gathered again with the actors and met with them in small groups. My job was to hear their singing range, then quickly teach the actors a part of a song and hear them sing the song individually. We ended around 1pm. Then the actors left, and the artistic team discussed some more. That is all I will say about that, because auditions are like personal, private conservations between actors and directors. All you need to know is that by 6pm of that day, we had our cast. 

Casting felt like a big step forward. Even though it caused me a bit of stress, I enjoyed the whole process immensely. It was refreshing to hear some of my songs sung by other people for the first time! I was getting tired of hearing my own voice. 

That refreshing, revitalizing feeling came again this morning at our first reading (when the cast sits down and simply reads through the entire script for the first time.) The five children, the Psammead, and the townspeople finally had voices and faces! The actors put on their best British accents and did a wonderful job of interpreting their characters, though it was only their first time reading their lines. The ensemble sang parts of the songs that I had taught them only the night before.

Throughout the reading, I played the keyboard and sang the songs and KW (the director) tried to paint a picture of what is happening onstage. The room was chilly, but there was an electric tingle in the air: we were starting to see the pieces of the puzzle come together slowly! And I was in awe as I heard KW or MZ (the choreographer) describe their ideas for a castle siege, a dance, or a transformation. They were filling in the holes that my mind by itself couldn't fill. 

And that is, in my opinion, the real magic of theater. We bring our talents and gifts and ALL work together to make this happen. Theater cannot happen without actors, directors, backstage crew, costumers, makeup artists, tech crews, publicity... it truly takes a village to raise this "child!" 

At our first gathering, I told my actors that my musical is really only half done at this point. Having a script and music in my hands is an accomplishment, but a musical is meant to seen, heard, and experienced. My actors are part of the team who will help bring this show to completion. I hope they understand this, and I hope they are as excited as I am! 

No comments:

Post a Comment