Saturday, January 21, 2023

A Musical is Born! -Part 11- The Struggle-Through

I met with 4/5 of the band today and so I was all prepared to write about them, but I will need to write about them next week, because today I had an unexpected surprise!

An "unexpected surprise"? Isn't that redundant, you ask?

That was how BIG of a surprise it was!

This morning, I had my printed schedule for rehearsal and I was all set for working with small groups. Then at 9:30am, KW (the director) said, "Let's do this. Let's do a run-through."

She saw the look on my face and immediately asked, "You don't think they're ready?"

I was thinking of all the songs that the actors needed to review, but I myself was eager to start seeing the pieces of this show put together.

So we did it.

We did what we call a "struggle-through," because a first run-through is always more of a struggle than a smooth, problem-free run.

And yes, our struggle-through was far from perfect, but it was also hardly a struggle. It had so many wonderful moments! There were songs that sounded great, scenes that were touching, dances that made us smile. The most difficult part for everyone were the transitions, because actors needed to figure out where they needed to be for the next scene and how to get there. We stopped many times to fix small things, and just to laugh at our mistakes, because we were all "struggling" together.

By the end of our rehearsal time, we had made it through the WHOLE show. For the first time! This was a big feat!! All the work we have done in the last six weeks finally looks like a SHOW! I am so impressed with all the memorization of lines and dances the actors have done. I found myself sucked into the story and having to remind myself to play the piano. And I admit, I teared up a couple of times. I may be a fountain on opening night!

I left rehearsal walking on air and excited for next week's step... refining!


1 comment:

  1. I’m glad it was such a great surprise for you and cast!!

    ReplyDelete