Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thank God for the Holy Spirit!

Let me share with you a moment I just had.

I was putting the kids to bed, by myself because my husband is taking a class tonight, which isn't usually a problem, except for the unpredictability of an almost-two-year-old. I was thinking that it would be nice to sing the kids a lullaby tonight, so I asked the girls to stay in the boys' room, which meant that my youngest could lie in his bed and listen. Well, he wouldn't have it. He was already revved up from giving Buzz Lightyear a bath in the sink after brushing his teeth, then attacking me with swords, then attempting to hug a beach ball instead of holding hands while we prayed. I was trying to sing while keeping the little one in his crib, and he was having a blast playing his new game, 'Dodge-the-Mama'. My older children couldn't help but laugh, and after asking them once to stop (which they didn't), I gave up. My patience done, I stopped singing and asked the girls to go to their room. Then I tucked them in, kissed them, and said "Good night, I love you", as usual.

A few minutes later, after putting in some laundry and finishing the dishes, my anger burned off and I was able to think clearly again. I felt a nudge to go talk to my children; ending a day on a sour note like that was potentially harmful, because the incident may stick in my children's heads for years. I wouldn't want my children growing up and always thinking that their mother had no time, patience, or understanding for them.

So I went and talked to each child, explaining that I didn't blame them for laughing at their brother, and also making sure that they understood why I stopped singing. Then, I apologized for losing my temper, and asked them for forgiveness. Now I can sleep better tonight.

Maybe I made a mistake in stopping the lullaby, maybe I should have shown more patience with my young ones, but whatever mistakes I made, I'm glad the Holy Spirit urges me to right the wrong. I know that I have many more years of parenting ahead of me, and MANY more mistakes will be made, but with God's help, my mistakes will not become my children's stumbling blocks later in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment