Thursday, October 13, 2011

My 7 Pound, 10 Ounce Miracle

Her slim but tiny fingers, complete with tiny fingernails.
Her smile, punctuated by dimples in each cheek, in the midst of curious baby dreams.
Her smooth, soft skin, and that smell that one can't quite pinpoint as anything but 'new baby' smell.

I am holding my little miracle (which means, yes, I'm typing this one-handed), born on October 5th at 8:36pm. This may be my fifth child, but I am still filled with awe when I see this new person who has entered my life. She was inside me, though I did not put her there. She was knitted together, though not by my hands. And she surpasses my workmanship by far. How can this be, I wonder? But then, I already know the answer.

I was surprised when my water broke, since I had three weeks left to go. But it was God's perfect timing. My labor was short, but painful because the baby was posterior (back labor or 'sunny-side-up', as some call it). But I thank God that she came out without forceps or surgery, and without harm to herself. We also discovered that her umbilical cord was tied in a perfect knot, like a strangely-colored pretzel. I know now what could have happened to this child before she was even born, and by God's hand, she was protected and delivered into the arms of her parents, healthy and whole.

My little miracle, my little sparrow... oh, God is so amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment