Saturday, October 1, 2011

Prayer is My Weapon, Heaven My Hope

My heart is heavy right now.

I just read about a young Iranian pastor, Youcef Nadarkhani, who is awaiting execution for not renouncing his Christian faith. His wife was arrested, but released, and his two sons, ages 9 and 7, are unharmed.

I can never grasp, never understand, never even fathom how one person can do this to another. I am blessed to live in a safe environment, but all around me, people torture and kill other people. Children are raped, women are abused, cities are bombed and tribes slaughtered.

My heart is heavy.

God never intended life to be like this. He never intended for His children to fall asleep at night, not knowing if they will wake up in the morning. He never intended lives full of fear, suffering, or rejection. Yes, I know that the young pastor and his family are trusting their Lord and His intentions, that God can fill them with His abundant peace in the midst of the storm, but I still feel a shallowness of breath inside me, because

my heart is heavy.

And I feel helpless. Helpless to heal the world full of brokenness. Helpless to stop the rampant injustice. Helpless to send rain on dying fields.

But I am reminded of the current circumstances in the world, outside of my bubble, and I feel the connection to those in the Body, no matter how far or near. And I am drawn to God, to beseech Him on behalf of my Iranian brother, and to Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. (I Thessalonians 5:16-18)

My heart is heavy, but prayer is my weapon, and heaven my hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment