Thursday, March 15, 2012

New Places to Explore

As some of you already know, I'm always up for a field trip! I've been more housebound since having the baby, but spring is calling me out-of-doors again. I can't wait to visit favorite haunts, and discover new treasures. Here are four local wonderlands to explore with your family this spring!

The first is Filoli, a historic family estate that was donated for preservation and educational purposes. The mansion is a museum showing antique, original furnishings and the gardens are spectacular! Filoli is a working garden and orchard (some plants are for sale and fruit that is grown is donated to food banks) and offers many classes on painting and flower arranging. Painters are encouraged! Filoli is located off  highway 92 before you head over the hills into Half Moon Bay. Passes for adults are $15, and for children are $5 for age 5 and up. They also offer an annual membership. Go to www.filoli.org for more information.


Another fun place is the California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park. The only negative is driving to San Francisco (no way around it) and paying for parking too. But I mention it because they offer a discounted price on Homeschool Day. The last time I went, it wasn't too crowded and the kids had a blast. This year's homeschool day is on April 17th, 9:30am-5pm. Find out more at California Academy of Sciences Homeschool Day

I have to mention here, just in case you didn't know, that Oakland has a zoo that's perfect for an outing with younger children. Unlike the San Francisco Zoo, this one is smaller and manageable for a day (or half-a-day) trip. I do suggest buying the annual pass. The cost for a admission for a family and parking adds up to almost the same price. The zoo is right off highway 580. Visit there website here: http://www.oaklandzoo.org/


And now, for my newest discovery... [drum roll]... Alviso Adobe Community Park! I couldn't believe this park was so near my church and yet I had not heard of it until now!

The site was once a ranch and dairy, and you can walk through the old buildings, learn about native plants and how the Early Americans used them, and milk a (fake) cow. It's a bustling place on Saturdays! Because it's a park, it's free. Here's the site: Alviso Adobe Community Park



If you know of a good place to go with kids in the Bay Area, please share with me! I hope to post more!

No comments:

Post a Comment