Sunday, March 25, 2012

Perfectionism vs. Perfection

"It's not about being perfect, it's about being better."

I'm a perfectionist by nature. I don't do anything unless it's worth doing. Then I jump in 110%. For me, if it's not a success, then it's a failure. "Do or do not, there is no try." That's me.

Unfortunately, that attitude creeps into my spiritual life. I beat myself up if I lose my patience after vowing to be more patient, or missing a day of reading the Bible after a new resolution to read the Bible everyday. I wonder why my heart still wanders away from God and towards the World. I get discouraged, and I want to give up.

But, I am reminded, "It's not about being perfect, it's about being better."

That is what my pastor said today. Ups and downs are normal. As long as there are signs of growth, I am better than I was, when I didn't know Christ. As long as I am bearing fruit, the fruits of the Spirit, no matter how small they may be, I am better than I was. As long as I allow my heart to be soft and continue to grow in my understanding of God, I am better than I was. As long as I stay humble, and stop trying to attain goodness on my own strength, I am better than I was. It is not about 'being good' and checking off a list. God is refining me, polishing me, pruning me, removing sin (like perfectionism) from my life. Only through Him will I someday be... truly, truly be... perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment