Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Little Box

(Lyrics to my new song, written after watching a documentary about Sara Groves and her trip to Rwanda and Arkansas after Hurricane Katrina)


I built myself a little box
Complete with windows and a door that locked
There I, contented, lived my life
Sipping my tea, watching the world go by

Sometimes I heard a cry of pain
I looked outside, the tears fell as the rain
But I just checked my door and lock
And settled back inside my box

Then one day, I received a note,
Hand-written, folded in an envelope
I opened it, curious to see
If the note's author was my love-to-be

But my admirer he was not
But still my lover despite what I thought
His message took me by surprise
His words caused me to laugh and cry

And still more letters came my way
I read his love notes to me everyday
And within me, they fanned a fire
A greater love that only Love inspires

And then I found I'd hit a wall
My little house had somehow grown too small
And love had burned through door and lock
For now my heart was bigger than my box

1 comment: