Monday, January 14, 2013

A Chilly Experience

We just had our heater fixed. In a matter of minutes, the temperature in our house went from 54 degrees (Farenheit) to 64 degrees. It felt amazing, after three days of being either bundled up or chilled to the bone.

And (as always) I observed a few things.

1) When you're already cold, putting on more clothes can't warm you.
2) Food helps your body generate heat.
3) I like living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I especially like the frequent sunshine. And I like warm baths.

After living in a 50-degree house for three days, I still can't imagine what it would be like to be cold, hungry, and homeless, because I had the luxury of food, shelter, and baths. A friend told me that he was talking to a homeless man the other day, and the man could not stop shaking, though he wore several coats and mittens. Even here, where winters are mild, people are not meant to be outside when the temperature drops below 50.

I think I will dig up my extra yarn and crochet a few hats for the homeless. I know it's not much, but maybe a hat, a warm cup of coffee, and a good lunch will make a difference for someone this winter.

2 comments:

  1. Great Post! I think you are right that once you are cold to the core, clothes will really take a long time to help. Though, layers is the way to go! Lots of layers! Eating definitely gets your mind off the fact you are freezing. We are -7C here right now and that is plenty cold. I love the bitter cold at some level though. We don't have homeless people here. So, the only people who would be shaking would only be shaking because they are on drugs and refuse to take the free housing and food provided by the government. It is kind of crazy simply not having this class of people in the society. For some reason the people of Norway decided that they didn't want people not having a place to live. Pretty wild idea ;) -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even our little town of Livermore provides some sort of housing for the homeless, but either the facilities are maxed out, or the people choose not to accept the help because you can almost get away with spending a winter outside here. But last winter, a homeless man was found dead nearby. I don't know how you Scandinavians survive at temps below freezing! You and your crazy brother in Alaska. :)

    ReplyDelete