Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Present-Day Pen Pals

I really enjoy writing long letters in flowy script to my friends. Maybe it's because I'm a writer. Maybe because long letters feel like a deep but slow conversation over distance. When I'm writing a letter, I'm not hindered by time, or interruptions, or environment. In the open space, I can be open with my thoughts. My long letters are never long enough because I have so much to say.

I recently discovered that I enjoy writing long e-mails to friends. And this is after years of refusing to use e-mail, then using it only if necessary! Now, when I have enough time, I will sit and ask a myriad of questions (expecting answers to every one) and answer my friends' questions in detail. We share prayer requests and concerns, verses, and minute but amusing details from our lives.

Sometimes I rant about technology, but it really depends on how one uses it. Like all things in life, we need to approach new technologies with Godly wisdom, and try to use it to encourage and build up the Body. I know some young guys who text each other Bible verses to encourage each other at the start of a work day. And there's TakeThemAMeal.com, that has helped people at my church quickly and easily coordinate meals. I'll probably never become a part of the Twitter/Pinterest/Instagram crowd, but then again, I once said I would never blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment