Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Embracing Extraordinary (Part 2 of 3)

I should have mentioned this before, but it's hard being extraordinary.

I don't mean the extraordinary that we wish on ourselves, like being drop-dead gorgeous, writing an award-winning novel, or finding the cure for cancer. This kind of extraordinary brings us attention and praise.

I'm talking about God's kind of extraordinary: being brave when others aren't, standing for truth and justice when others don't, living in the light of His kingdom while on earth.

That's what makes it hard, because it doesn't bring us the kind of attention we want, nor does it often bring us praise.

It means being extraordinary by refuting a well-respected professor in ethics class. Or standing up to your boss even if it means your job may be on the line. It means seeing  the unexpected and/or tragic as a blessing, as in the case of Joni Eareckson Tada, who was a quadraplegic at the age of 17 because of a diving accident. Maybe in your case, it means undergoing cancer treatment and enduring curious glances at your hairless head whenever you venture out. And in my case (unexpected by not tragic), it means preparing myself for Baby #6 in a time and place where being a homemaker is not an admirable career choice and being a strong bearer of children is not considered a talent.

As always, God's timing was perfect. I already turn heads when I go out with my children. People either give me an amused, annoyed, or chin-dropping-to-the-floor look, but never do I get a look that says, "You are an extraordinary mom!" That used to bother me, until I learned that I can't spend the rest of my life trying to win the world's approval. No, God called me for something greater, and though I don't always get to choose what that something is, I do get to choose-- ordinary, or extraordinary. 

And as hard as it may be, I am choosing extraordinary.


(Click here to read Part 1, Ordinary No More or here to read Part 3, Extraordinary Examples)

No comments:

Post a Comment