Sunday, January 5, 2014

Public Speaking

I was asked to speak at the Valentine's Tea at our church. Wow, the year has barely started and God is already throwing in the surprises! At first I thought that this would be a couple's tea, something that my husband and I could work together on. Then I was told that it's a women's tea, with women of all ages and backgrounds. And the topic is love.

My mind raced through my list of DISqualifications for this job. I'm no expert on love. I'm no Bible scholar. My background is fairly limited. I don't feel like a leader among women. I don't stand out. In fact, I'm more of a wallflower. And, I am definitely NOT a public speaker. I've never even taken a speech class in school. I can hide behind a piano and perform with a band, and I can be silly in front of a group of kids, but standing in the front of a room, sharing my thoughts with a crowd whose eyes are boring into me… I don't know. My heart races just thinking about it.

But then I remembered a line from the VeggieTales movie 'The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything'. (I have five kids. I can't help but make references to children's books and movies.) In the film, the princess says that she can trust the goofy-looking pirates because she trusts the One who sent them. In my case, I can trust the leaders of the women's ministry because I trust that they are following God's will in asking me. I trust that they are prayerful and mindful when they disciple women and seek to raise up the next generation of leaders.

Likewise for the leaders, they trust that God has sent me to help with the tea, though I am not the most outspoken, courageous, or altruistic of women. They recognize something in me, a seed that was planted by the Holy Spirit, and this is their taking an obedient step in helping me cultivate that seed until I am blooming and fruitful. All I can say is, I'm both honored and humbled.

I have been prayerful on the matter since Friday, and my conclusion today is this: because my hand is in God's hand (as are the leaders of my church), I know that I CAN do this task despite my short-comings. It won't be the beginning of a speaking career (unless God has more surprises in store for me) but for one afternoon, God will use me to be His instrument to a room full of women.

My heart races just thinking about it…

No comments:

Post a Comment