Saturday, January 17, 2015

The family that 'smart-phones' together...

My husband chose to take the scenic route through downtown. It was a beautiful, sunny winter day, warm enough to entice people outside for a stroll and lunch al fresco. I looked out the car window and observed a small group of people sitting at a table, waiting to be served. Each and every person at that table had his or her head lowered.

Ten years ago, seeing people with their heads bowed at a table would signify that they were praying before a meal. Today, heads down means they are all looking at something on their phones. We drove past another group in a similar formation. Then another. I started wishing, then hoping, to find one group with their chins to their chests who were actually praying, not 'smart-phoning', together.


Maybe someone has already thought of a word or phrase to describe people sitting in near proximity to each other, all on phones doing separate things, but I don't know it, so I came up with my own term. I played around with 'co-phoning' and 'synchronized phoning', then settled for 'smart-phoning' because it sounds passive. Also, unlike phrases such as "I'll telephone you" or "I'll call on you the phone", it gives no implication of relating to another person.

I'm not the only one critical of seeing the next generation grow up in a world filled with screens. Some of us are afraid that our children will know less and less how to relate to people, or how to appreciate stillness, scenery, and solitude. But no one really knows what will happen to our culture as we rely more and more on our pocket-sized, portable computers.


One result I do imagine is less conversation with strangers. Back in the day, when I had to ride the bus and BART train to school every day, I would meet the most interesting people. If I wasn't in a mood to talk, I could try to bury my face in a college text book, but even then, a stranger might find that a subject worth talking about. Now, I could read on my iPad or phone and no one would ask me, "What are you reading?" Even if I was reading the Bible everyday while riding public transportation, I would look like I was merely surfing the web or checking my e-mail. Opportunities for conversation are lost. How sad it will be when instead of families eating together or praying together, they 'smart phone' together...


I would rather imagine a world where Christians can make a statement in the midst of this culture change. Praying and talking at a meal; reading a hard copy of the Bible; knocking on a neighbor's door; striking up conversation with a stranger– all simple ways to defy the new normal without being condemning. Our friendships will stand out, our families will be unique, but only if we are intentional when it comes to how we use our smart phones. But then again, as Christians, shouldn't we be intentional in all we do?


No comments:

Post a Comment