Thursday, April 16, 2015

Scripture Memorization With My Children

Our "school" always ends the year with a performance in June, something similar to the public school's "open house." I display the children's art and writing from the year and each child decides on a dessert to make and serve. Then we invite family and friends to our home for a short evening of piano solos, singing, poetry recitation, scripture memorization and project presentations. Some years we've even added joke-telling and the Virginia reel (with audience participation, of course)! It's a great way to finish the year and share with others what we've learned!

Preparation for this year's performance has already begun. But I didn't realize until earlier this week that we needed to start our Scripture memorization! Then I thought, "What a perfect  opportunity to try my new method of Scripture memorization with my children!" (See my post Hiding His Word in my Heart if you don't now what I'm talking about.)


So I divided Psalm 121 into four sections and allowed the older children to choose which two verses they would like to write out. (This took a little finagling, since my son and daughter both wanted verses 1-2.) I myself took the section that no one wanted. Then I gave a short lesson on how to write out the verses, using my own examples from Colossians 3.

Here is what my children came up with:









I love seeing my children's ideas! They thought of things I wouldn't have thought of, like the crown above the word 'Lord.'


Colossians 3:16a (which I'm memorizing right now) comes to mind:


Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another in all wisdom.


Next step, tape our illustrations to the living room wall to serve as tools in our scripture memorization and as decoration and lovely reminders of God's wonderful words!


No comments:

Post a Comment