Saturday, June 20, 2015

Good Summer Reading

In our family, summer vacation also means summer reading! I love that our city's library has a summer reading program to encourage our young readers. Some years the kids have earned gift certificates for ice cream cones and mini golf, and other years they have come home with little toys and free books. If your library doesn't have a program like this, consider doing one yourself. Make a fun chart to mark your child's progress as he/she finishes books. And when he/she reaches the goal, go celebrate as a family!

Now here's the hard part for you parents. You can't assume that all books are safe. In my search for books for my children to read, I have found that:


– just because the book is an award winner doesn't mean that it upholds God's teachings. Standards have changed, especially in the past 20 years.

– just because it is on a book list of recommended books doesn't mean that the book is one that you want your child reading. Be sure of the source of the list before you use it as a guide.
– just because everyone else's child is reading the book doesn't mean that your child should read it. Some "popular" books have protagonists who are rude and blur the line between right and wrong.

The best bet is to read the books yourself, which is what I am doing: slowly reading everything I can get my hands on, in hopes of finding books that I can pass on to my children. By reading the books first, I can be the judge of what my children are ready for. Another benefit is that I have things to discuss with my children as they are reading the same book (Do you like the book? What part is your favorite? How would you feel if you were this character?)


There are plenty of books out there that are fine (not scary, not full of rude characters, not showing children disrespecting parents, not portraying adults as stupid, no talk of sexual matters). Many books are funny, or cultural (great for discussion), or simply tell a good story. But if you are looking for books that reinforce Biblical teaching, below are the lists I started several years ago for my own children. The lists are still relatively short, but ever growing (as I continue reading). If you have favorite titles to share, please do!


Happy Summer Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment