Saturday, July 11, 2015

Designed by God

When I was a little girl, I dreamed of being a ballerina, a doctor, and an Olympic runner. But because of my family's lack of extra funds, I wasn't able to take dancing classes. My parents invested every extra penny into piano lessons because they knew someday I could serve the church with this skill.

That didn't stop me from dreaming though. I thought surely someday someone would notice my record-breaking speed or my perfect ballerina toes. I would go to school and become a great doctor. And because I had the desire, surely, I could accomplish whatever I wanted.


Fast forward ten years.


I still believed that I could become whatever I wanted. My driven, perfectionist personality told me so. And so did my culture. This was America after all, the land where dreams come true, if one works hard enough.


Then I signed up for a dance class, something I had wanted to do for years. 


Yes, now all my suppressed natural talent will burst forth! I thought.


Boy, was I wrong.


I had very little flexibility. I had even less grace. I did all the right moves at the right time, but compared to the teacher, I was a bumbling giant. And I was disappointed, because I had believed all along that all I needed was the desire and the opportunity. With time, I could have improved. But I still lacked something, something that I had been lacking since birth. My body was not built for dancing.


Even if my family had had all the money in the world, I could never be a ballerina, a doctor, or Olympic runner. I don't have the mind to handle the understanding and knowledge needed to be a doctor. Nor is my personality suited for the physical discipline needed to become an athlete. I could try my hardest, and still not achieve those goals, because God didn't design me that way. He put in me the dexterity to play the piano, the brain power to quickly understand written music, and the desire to be creative and artistic. I am so thankful my parents saw that in me and encouraged me through the years to keep pursuing music!

I am watching my children now as they mature. The more I watch, the more I see of their personalities. They are each so unique! One daughter has an natural sense of design. Another loves to craft. One son is a drummer and another an actor. If one day one of my children expresses a desire to become a surgeon but doesn't have the aptitude for science and precision, I would be lying if I told my child that all dreams can be achieved with perseverance and time.


Parents, are we doing our children a disservice by telling them, "You can be whatever you want to be"? It's a popular theme in children's movies (think 'Planes' and 'Turbo'); it is most definitely the mantra of the American culture. Wouldn't it be better to tell our children, "God designed you. He has a purpose for you. Chase the dream He has for you!"?

What is the life God has intended for your children?


No comments:

Post a Comment