Sunday, July 19, 2015

With No Regrets

I was cooking dinner when my husband wandered into the kitchen. I was suddenly overwhelmed by my gratitude for this man in my life: my partner, my best friend, my greatest support. Without hesitation, I grabbed him in a bear hug and whispered to him, "I love you. I am so thankful for you."

We held each other for a long moment before he asked quietly, "What brought that on?"

I had no answer.

Maybe it was because we had just celebrated our anniversary on the 13th. Or that we had had some good talks over the past week. Or that he had been so helpful the past few days, when our five-year-old had been especially obstinate.

But I, with tears running down my cheeks, could only say, "You are an amazing husband. I don't know what I'd do without you. And when you die, whenever that is, I'll miss you, but at least you'll know that I am grateful for you. I won't have any regrets."

And I know I am saying that in all sincerity. My husband and I have made a habit of being quick to forgive and quick to apologize. We strive to use our words to build each other up, and to love the other as best as we are able. Though there have been plenty of times when we have not been the best spouses, at home and in public, our goal is always to mend the relationship as quickly as possible. Yes, we do take the verse "Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry (Ephesians 4:26)" quite literally. And that is how I know that when the day comes for us to part, we can do so with no regrets.

How are the closest relationships in your life? Do any need mending? Is there someone whom you need to forgive? To apologize to? Imagine if that person were to die tomorrow, would you have any regrets that you didn't talk to him/her today?


No comments:

Post a Comment