Saturday, September 12, 2015

Role Reversal

For years, my uncle and aunt lived in the next town over, and for years, I made excuses when the holidays rolled around. I figured my parents would host a dinner, or go visit them, or at least send them a card. It never dawned on me that I could do those things.

Until my uncle was diagnosed with cancer. And when cancer finally overtook my uncle's body, I realized for the first time that I was no longer the young niece who had to stand on tiptoe to see over the countertop. I was an adult, and moreover, it was my job now to care for the people who used to take care of me. 

So I started hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas meals, for the first time inviting my uncle, aunt, and cousins to my house. I visited my uncle when he was in hospice care and comforted my aunt and cousins during the difficult time of his death. It was a strange, uncomfortable feeling at first, but I grew into my new role, and my new relationship with my aunt and cousins. Last weekend, we joyfully celebrated my baby's first birthday together.

Then, just a few days ago, I found out that my dad (who lives out-of-state) has cancer and is need of chemotherapy. My mind raced with questions like "Will they still work while they go through this?" and "Who is caring for Mom while she cares for Dad?" Whatever happens, I am prepared to take on the role as caregiver. God had already prepared for me that. If my parents need to come and live with me (and I realize that this may not be easy), I would not hesitate to say 'yes'.

When we were born, we were completely dependent on our parents. At some point, our parents become dependent on us. But it isn't like a business, where everything is counted 50/50. It's family– family as God intended. Sometimes we need more care, sometimes we give more care. And when the time comes for me to be the one to give more care, I know God will give me new strength and courage to do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment