Sunday, September 20, 2015

Rethinking Sunday Mornings

I haven't sat in service at my church for five weeks now. And I can't remember the last time I heard a full sermon. It comes with this season of life; I'm either nursing, or walking the halls trying to get the little one to sleep, or I'm serving in the nursery. This used to bother me, but not anymore.

But it bothers most parents with young children. My friends have two children under the age of two and they gave up on Sunday morning church services because it was more trouble than it was worth. 

"Or is it?" I ask. 

I understand that it's difficult for tired parents to choose to do something that will only make them feel MORE tired. I understand that most parents would like– scratch that– NEED a break. And I understand that parents, along with everyone else, need opportunities to rest, learn, grow and be fed. I, too, once thought, Why go to all the work of getting ready and driving to church, just to sit in a room away from everyone else? Or worse, spend an hour and a half chasing after an energetic baby in a non-baby proof environment? Why can't I just stay home and wait until my baby is older, when church will be easier for me?

I have since learned to see Sunday mornings from a different perspective.

Rather than ask, "What do I get from church on Sunday mornings?", I ask myself, "What can I give on Sunday mornings?" Then, as I drive to church, I pray that God will lead me to people who need encouragement and prayer. Oftentimes, I find people sitting by themselves in the church lobby, either because they are feeling ill, or they came to church with a family member out of obligation, or they also have young (but loud) children.  All I have to do is muster up the courage to sit and strike up a conversation with them (tip: cute babies are great ice breakers). Or there have been times when a new mom wanders into the nursing room looking for a quiet place to sit, when what she really needs is someone to talk to. Or take today, for example. I filled in as a substitute in the nursery and ended up having a great, God-centered conversation with the other volunteer. And I met new parents. AND I had the chance to love on the little ones. I was reminded that Sunday mornings are about relationships with people of all ages, especially people outside my usual circle. I can be a blessing, but only if I make the effort to go. And my one-year-old can be a blessing, but only when I make the effort to take him!

I know that I am not offering fellow parents an easy solution. And I certainly don't want to guilt-trip anyone into going to church. But if you are a parent who is nearly ready to give up on Sunday mornings, I encourage you to keep trying.  The trouble IS worth it, when you see it as a time of service and building up of the church body, and a way of establishing a pattern for your family. And remember, God can use this season to grow and refine you!

No comments:

Post a Comment