Saturday, October 31, 2015

Halloween… Cheer?

I am feeling confused tonight.

Home are lit up.
Neighbors are opening their doors to strangers.
I hear children laughing and adults chatting.
People are out strolling, enjoying the cooling evening air.

It's the only night you'll see this in my neighborhood. Despite the skeletons, grave yards, and witches decorating some front lawns, there was a definite feeling of community and joy in the air tonight. Why? I want to know. Are people united by the traditions of dressing up and carving jack-o-lanterns? Do adults love seeing cute children on their front porch and hearing their little voices say "Twick-o-tweat"? Is it the beautiful autumn season? What is the source of this jubilation, on a holiday that is associated with dead and scary things and has no message of hope or happiness… or anything, for that matter?

I feel that if I could answer these questions, I could bring back the cheer that was once associated with Christmas. Then on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day we would hear song and laughter fill our streets. Neighbors would visit each other with gifts. Windows would all be aglow with lights. Hope would unite us and joy would overflow from every person.

But, how to do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment