Friday, November 6, 2015

How to Travel Through Time

For a school assignment, my sixth-grader had to come up with five questions to ask her great-grandmother or great-grandfather about growing up during the Depression. My daughter tried and tried, but she could not think of anything to ask. 

"Remember, they didn't have computers then. What else could be different?" I suggested.

My daughter's mind was stuck. She had a hard time picturing her great-grandmother as a little girl.

Then an idea struck me. I said, "Okay, imagine you have a time machine. You are going back to the 1930's and you want to know what life was like then for girls."

That helped my daughter finish the assignment. And it gave me a whole new appreciation for the older members of our community. Time travel IS possible! All around us are eye witnesses to the Great Depression, World War 2, and the launch of Sputnik. If we just took the time to sit down with an elderly person, we could learn so much about life before our own time.

But sadly, we don't often take the time. We don't even take the time to remember that these men and women, who are slow, hard of hearing, and sometimes– let's admit it– boring, these people have lived a WHOLE life. They have stories to tell. They have done things we have never done. They have been places we've never been, and seen things that we've never seen. They are time travelers! 

I encourage you all to reach out to the elderly around you. If you are a parent, teach your children to appreciate the older generations. It may seem scary at first to your child, but increase the time your children are around the elderly and your child will grow more comfortable. Let your child ask questions. Talk to them about why some of these people are in wheelchairs and beds, or why some are forgetful. 

Here are more ways to encourage interaction with the senior members of our community:

– If you will see older members of your family for the holidays, sit with your children beforehand and brainstorm questions to ask. Then you can record or video the interview. (Homeschooling families, reuse the interview as a writing assignment later!)

– Go Christmas caroling at a local senior care home. As you sing, shake or touch the residents' hands.

– Invite a senior neighbor or member of your church body to have Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner with your family. Many widows and widowers are alone on those special holidays.

– Adopt a grandparent! If your children's grandparents are no longer living, choose another elderly person (or couple) and treat them as you would your own parents!

I remember going on a field trip in the fifth grade to an assisted living facility. In pairs, we had to interview a resident of the home and write a short paper on the person. I was nervous and scared because it was my first time sitting with an older person and asking direct questions (and my first time eating a bagel… with cream cheese!… but that's besides the point…), and to this day, I love being with seniors. Next week, I am bringing my ninety-three-year-old friend to the veterans' dinner at my church. I can't wait to meet more amazing people and hear the many stories that will fill that room!

No comments:

Post a Comment