Tuesday, November 17, 2015

A Spirit of Thanksgiving (Part 3 of 5)

Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples! ~Psalm 105:1 (ESV)

Did you know that…
- if your heart beats an average of 80 beats per minute, it beats 115,200 times in one day?
- if you average 16 breaths per minute while at rest, your lungs will take 23,040 breaths in one day?
- your red bone marrow makes about 2 million red blood cells every second?
- when you take a step, you use 200 muscles to move your leg and feet and to keep your balance?

I give thanks to God for what my body is capable of doing without my help. Can you imagine how hard life would be if we have to consciously will every breath, every heart beat, every blood cell? Our bodies can take in food and distribute it; it can fight most disease and heal itself; it can regulate heat. Even now, as you are reading this, your iris can control how much light enters your eye, your pupil is focusing, your retina is relaying messages to your brain– all without your doing! Amazing!

I know that my body is such a complex system that if one part stops working, I could be dead in a –ahem– heartbeat (sorry, I couldn't help myself). And so every day that I can get out of bed, see my children, say 'Good morning' to my husband– all without thinking– it is all because of God's design! And for that, I am thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment