Sunday, November 15, 2015

A Spirit of Thanksgiving (Part 2 of 5)

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever. ~Psalm 136:1 (ESV)

Have you ever been thankful for something you didn't receive? I mean, REALLY thankful for what God didn't give you, even though you wanted it with all your heart? We say "Thank You Lord that I don't have cancer" with ease, but how about "Thank You God for not giving me that promotion"?

I wasn't always very grateful as a child. I grumbled as I hung laundry for my family, because many of my classmates had maids. I hated the fact that I qualified for a free lunch at school and had to endure mocking from other girls when they saw what I didn't have sandwiches like theirs. Every time I went to my friends' houses and saw what they had, I left wanting video games, pierced ears, a bigger house, or a nicer car. Even when I visited other churches, I was envious of their building, sanctuary, worship team, and classrooms. I prayed that God would give me these good things. Then I wondered why He didn't.

But it was God's gift to me that He didn't give me all that I wanted! I am more humble and more empathetic today because of what I didn't have. I am able to take care of my family on a tighter budget because I learned how to do so from my parents. I have a different outlook on church that is not based on a building or a worship team.

And this doesn't even touch on all the other times in my life when God DIDN'T give me what I wanted: the man I wanted to marry, the trip I wanted to take, the career I wanted to pursue… the list is unending. Every year, my eyes are opened to yet another way that God has blessed me by NOT giving me what I wanted. I am so grateful that God withheld those things from me, only to give me something BETTER!

"God never withholds from His child that which His love and wisdom call good. God's refusals are always merciful– "severe mercies" at times but mercies all the same. God never denies us our hearts desire except to give us something better." ~Elizabeth Elliot

(special thanks to my friend Sharon for sharing this quote with me)

No comments:

Post a Comment