Wednesday, November 11, 2015

A Spirit of Thanksgiving (Part 1 of 5)

The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies me; to one who orders his way rightly I will show the salvation of God! ~Psalm 50:23 (ESV)

In a few weeks, we will be celebrating the holiday of Thanksgiving. I love this holiday because it is simply what its name implies– 'giving thanks'. There are no gifts involved, no candy and chocolate, just a day to remember all that God has provided for us this past year.

But still, even as we are trying to focus on gratitude, there are things competing for our attention. There's always a big game of American football on TV that day. There's also a parade. And of course, there's food, and lots of it. And now some stores have started their Christmas sales on Thanksgiving day. On the day when we should be thinking of all that we have already received, some people choose to go out to buy more.

To remind my children and myself that we should have a spirit of thanksgiving at this time of year, I have made a Thankful Tree. Anyone (and I do mean anyone) can take a leaf from the ground, write one thing or one person for which he/she is thankful, and stick the leaf on the tree. It's like autumn in reverse! Every time I look at the tree, there are more leaves on its branches! And as our Thankful Tree grows, I pray so does our gratitude to God.







No comments:

Post a Comment