Saturday, November 7, 2015

A Day Wasted

Today, my husband and I did NOT drive three hours to Chico. 
We did NOT have lunch with our friend there.
We did NOT attend a wedding.
And we did NOT drive three hours home.

Instead, we dropped off the older children at my in-laws (as planned) and my husband went to see a doctor. Then we stayed home all day with our one-year-old.

Even then, with a day wide open before me and not the usual crew to care for, I did not do my usual thing.
I did NOT clean the house. 
I did NOT make dinner. 
I did NOT get ready for school on Monday. 

I had a whole day, and I wasted it on a walk, playing the piano, talking to my neighbors, eating Chinese food from the restaurant down the street, sleeping, being extra kind to my husband, and thinking about how single parents and children from divorced families are the widows and orphans of today.

Okay, so I didn't waste my day.

But some people would have called it a waste, like I took a hundred dollars and spent it all on candy.

"You didn't get anything done today!" they would say.

"Yes, I did!" I would argue back. "I rested." 

And rest is NOT candy.

Rest is nourishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment