Saturday, November 21, 2015

A Spirit of Thanksgiving (Part 4 of 5)

Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. ~I Thessalonians 5:18 (ESV)

I read once that the best cure for grumpiness is to smile. The smile may be forced at first, but it slowly changes your whole attitude and lifts your spirit! 

Words can have a similar affect. By changing one word within a sentence, the sentence can take on a whole new meaning, which in turn, can change your outlook!

Here's an example. Every year as my birthday approaches, my husband reminds me that my attitude towards aging pivots on just one word. In English, I would say "I am thirty-seven-old" but in French (and other romance languages), I would say "J'ai trente-sept ans – I have thirty-seven years." Rather than lament that I'm just getting more wrinkled and gray with each passing year, I can own these years, like I am staking a claim, or like I've reached a wonderful goal in time and wisdom.

So, what does this have to do with thanksgiving? I recently discovered that I say "I have to…" quite a bit. Nothing wrong with that, except that I usually said it with a tone of resignation.

"I have to cook dinner."
"I have to take the kids to the park."
"I have to read the Bible."*

But change the "have" to "get", and my sentences become…

"I get to cook dinner."
"I get to take the kids to the park."
"I get to read the Bible."**

Presto-change-o! Wow, what a difference one word makes! All of a sudden, what were once my duties become my delights! Even the most dreaded chores (like scrubbing the toilet) becomes delightful when I think, "I get to…" Then my whole attitude changes. I remember that there is One who has given me much, and that I have much to be thankful for. Though my acts may be simple and mundane, I am a blessed woman because I CAN do these acts everyday. 

*A quick English language lesson for my international readers–
The colloquialism "have to" means "must". Example: "I have to feed the dog" means "I must feed the dog." 
**The colloquialism "get to" means "to have the opportunity to". Example: "I get to go to the movies tonight" means "I have the opportunity to go to the movies tonight."

No comments:

Post a Comment