Tuesday, January 5, 2016

New Year's Resolution


It's funny how our parents are always "old" in our minds. I have to remind myself that I knew the 30-some-years-old versions of my parents once, that it really wasn't that long ago that they were young parents, just like me. There was a time when they were more carefree and energetic, before the solemnity of life wore them down.

But I still have a difficult time picturing my mom as a thirty-seven year old. And I don't have very many memories of my parents laughing– really, truly, tears-stream-down laughing. That's why I like this photo. My dad is the one wearing the ivory shirt and beige slacks playing tug-of-war. My mom is watching from the sidelines with my little brother. We were at a camp retreat with our church, and the younger people must have talked my dad into showing off his muscles. Judging from the age of my brother, my mom is just about my current age at the time of this photo. And the smiles on my parents' faces are contagious! You can hear my mom's laughter as you study this picture. She's always had a beautiful smile. As does my dad.

I wish I have more pictures like this one. Even more, I wish I have more memories like this one. Which leads me to my resolution for this year: laugh more with my children and don't shy away from the camera. I want to give my children opportunities to remember their young, laughing mom.


(First published online as 'My Parents at My Age' in Camera Words)

No comments:

Post a Comment