Monday, June 13, 2016

Koinonia

My family just got back from a weekend in the mountains with our church family. As always, our time together was fruitful: new friendships were formed, old friendships were deepened, memories were made. This year, I was especially blessed because I am now 31 weeks pregnant and people were quick to step in and help with our tent or our energetic toddler. I love the strong feeling of community that I get on a weekend like this one.

But even as I experienced wonderful care and friendship, I noticed that there were people on the outskirts. I know how hard it is to break through the invisible barrier of an established community. Which is why I especially love our church body; we strive to practice koinonia.

If you've never heard of the word koinonia, let me tell you a little about it. It is a Greek word that means 'communion', 'sharing', or 'fellowship'. It is the deep connection that Christ nurtures in a church body, one that goes beyond superficial commonalities. An example of koinonia can be found in Acts 2:42-47:

And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

It is koinonia that sets the Church apart from the rest of the world. It is koinonia that astounds people when they see multiple cultures and social classes worshiping together. It is koinonia that allows people of different backgrounds to form a bond of love and encouragement. Without Christ as the foundation and koinonia as a fruit of His love, the Church would fall apart. As Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsame:

The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. (John 17:22-23)

And so, even as I noticed those on the outskirts at camp, I also noticed those who were dedicated to cultivating koinonia. I saw them making an effort to meet new people and to reach out to those who didn't easily mingle, and I was so thankful for them. At dinner one night, a young friend of mine came to me, her plate in hand, and whispered, "I'm looking for a place to sit, with people I don't know. Do you have any recommendations?" 

I pointed to a table where an older, tattooed, grizzly-looking gentleman was sitting. I had only met him the day before, but I knew that he had some great stories to tell.

"That man there has fostered more than 200 teenagers in 15 years. He's amazing. Sit with him."

Our last morning at the camp was especially sweet. My young son was waving and saying 'hi' to everyone he saw. Everywhere he looked, he saw a friend. During our morning service, I glanced around the room and felt an overflow of gratitude for the people I saw, especially those that I had gotten to know over the past two days. I prayed for the man who was reevaluating his life after experiencing heart failure; the couple who was recently married and were now learning to join their families and their lives; the homeschooling family who moved from another state and was looking for a new church family. Before I left, I invited this family to join us on Sunday mornings. I want them to experience koinonia through our church body like I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment