Sunday, June 19, 2016

Chosen and Loved

This morning, I heard stories from around the world, stories of children who live without clean water or nourishing food, without education, without health care. Some lived in fear, in places where girls could end up as prostitutes or bullets and bombs could harm and kill. And what do they have to look forward to? Nothing but the next day.

I've shared about Compassion before, but I was hit hard today as I watched a video of a girl receiving the news of her sponsorship for the first time. She cried as she laughed. Her mom cried. Her dad cried. And I couldn't help but cry myself. I had seen sponsorship as an opportunity to help a boy or girl; these children see sponsorship as an adoptionWhat I hadn't known was that children can sign up to be in the Compassion program before they are sponsored. This girl was already receiving the benefits of being in the program, but having a sponsor meant something completely different for her. It meant that she was chosen. She felt cared for. She felt loved. She looked forward to receiving letters from her sponsor. It's more than a chance to escape poverty; it's a relationship. 

Which reminded me of the joy I felt when I first realized that I was adopted by my Father. I found comfort in knowing that I was special. I had peace because I knew that Someone was watching out for me.

…even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ… In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us… as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things to him, things in heaven and things on earth. ~Ephesians 1:3-10

Being chosen. Being loved. There is nothing that satisfies our souls more deeply. And what's even better news, for many of Compassion's sponsored children, their earthly 'adoption' leads to their heavenly adoption. Compassion goes beyond feeding hungry stomachs and healing broken bodies.

Please take the time today to find out more about Compassion and child sponsorship. Click on this link for more information and to see the video I had mentioned: Compassion
It costs less that $50 a month. And it's much more than writing a check every month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment