Friday, July 1, 2016

The Pressure's Off, Moms!

No mother in all of history was able to protect her child from everything. And no mother in all of history parented without ever making a mistake.

So why am I bombarded with the message that I am guilty of being a horrible mother if I don't do everything I can to guard my child from harm? And when I say harm, I don't mean war and wild animals. I live in a suburb of San Francisco. The "harm" I encounter is non-organic produce, dirt, and allergies. I constantly feel the pressure to keep up with what I read on the Internet and hear on the news: sunblock is good, sunblock is bad; co-sleeping is good, co-sleeping is bad; protein is good, gluten is bad, milk is both good and bad. Trying to keep up with this trivial minutia can be more discouraging than helpful! I am already mindful of my children's safety, trying to feed them a variety of good foods, educate them, keep them healthy and rested… and still, it's not enough. Somehow, if I miss something, my children will either get cancer or not be admitted into the college of their choice (which means they will become unhappy, unproductive members of society, homeless or living in my basement).

I am grateful that when I am plagued by thoughts of failure, I can lean on the ultimate Source of peace and wisdom. Didn't God promise that He would provide all that we need, from physical needs such as food and clothes to spiritual needs such as faith and wisdom?

Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? ~Matthew 6:25

His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence… ~2 Peter 1:3

Jesus tells us to give our worries and anxieties to him and  to trust Him with the details. Our children are in His hands all the time. Which means that I don't need to live like a fearful mother hen or an ever-watchful, Super Mom robot. Yes, my children will get sick. Yes, they will fall down. Yes, they will eat dirt. Yes, they will encounter bullies. And yes, they will eat something that contains high fructose corn syrup and articial flavoring. My fears will still come and go, but I don't need to live in fear. God will give me calmness and peace in any circumstance, which allows me to spend more time actually enjoying my children. One of my favorite verses right now is this:

Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light. ~Matthew 11:28-30

My husband and I were up all night with a vomiting child for the second time this week. We are definitely feeling weary today. But these words are a comfort! We can find rest in God's arms– not just rest for our bodies, but rest for our souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment