Thursday, September 1, 2016

A Quiver Full

Last Christmas, I was invited to a dinner for our church's pastor's wives. It was a wonderful evening of fellowship and delicious food that made me feel honored and cared for. To top it off, after dessert, we were each presented with an Etsy gift card! I knew that I wanted to buy something extra meaningful as a reminder of that special night.

Not having ever shopped on Etsy, I spent weeks and weeks just browsing through the many categories on the website. How can I best spend my gift? Should I get a new hat? I do have a weakness for hats. Baby clothes? I don't really need any. Jewelry then? Hmmm…

Then I saw it. A simple necklace with a small arrow charm connecting the two ends of the chain. The words of Proverbs 127:3-5 came to mind:

Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth.
Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.

The necklace was exactly what I needed. I was feeling inadequate and anxious as I awaited the birth of the new baby, on top of already feeling guilt and remorseful for wanting more time to myself or for losing my patience with my children. And oftentimes, I allowed the fog of worldly minutia to distract me from what God intends for me as mom, wife and friend.

But this little arrow serves as a reminder of the many things I have learned this past year...

…that God has gifted me with seven children, and that my role is not simply to feed them and protect them, but to prepare them to "fly" out into the world. This is my main purpose now, in this season of my life, and God has not abandoned me in the midst of it.

…that to succeed as Mom, I don't need to be strong and perfect. To succeed as Mom, I only need to be a weak person in need of God's power. If my children are the arrows, then I am the bow, and it is God's strong arm and perfect aim that will make the arrows take flight and land where they should.

…that I am still growing and learning to be more like Christ, and God is ever patient with me. My children are also learning and growing to be more like Christ (among other things) and I need to be patient with them.

…that all I need to be Mom has already been given to me through the Holy Spirit. Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control, and mercy are at my disposal if only I ask for them.

… (last but most definitely not least) that as God is my model of grace and love, I am my children's model of grace and love.

A new school year is starting. I am well-stocked with pencils, crayons, scissors, and paper. And now I am confident that my spiritual tool box is well-stocked as well, with everything I need to make my quiver full of arrows fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment